foto log

11/23/08

TWILIGHT the movie - my review!

I should've already posted a personal review of TWILIGHT considering I got a chance to see it with Sifo on Thursday night for it's midnight screening at Jordan Landing. All I have to say about the experience is one word: "crazy". We arrived at the theater a few minutes after 9pm and I seriously thought we were the FIRST ONES THERE! (Come on!!! We were THREE hours early!) Come to find out we couldn't find where our designated line was supposed to start - as other post-midnight screenings had formed snaking lines throughout the theater's lobby. Confused and concerned that being the first in line really WAS the case, we finally asked one of the ushers there and LO AND BEHOLD - "they had started seating everyone TWO HOURS ago!!" ***thud!!*** Who in their right mind (Twilight Freak-fan or not) would be sold on the idea that waiting for a movie FIVE hours BEFORE it comes on is a GOOD one?? (Our three hours before showtime is just as bad but COME ON!!!)... Oh and did I mention the SEA of Twilight attire that was there? Prom dresses, full-fledged vampire costumes with the trimmings (cape *CHECK*, popped collar *CHECK*, shades??? *CHECK*, hot vampire?? ***PASS***) haha...

So in we go.... and after chattin' up a storm about random things, people, places, experiences, church; texting back and forth to other midnight screening goers like Lesina who took pictures of their waiting experience OUTSIDE for TWO hours of the Hurricane theaters (bless your heart - I hope it was worth it for you!) - - - it was finally time!

*** flickering lights **** AUDIENCE SCREAMS AND CLAPS *** flickering on the big screen **** MORE SCREAMS AND CLAPS **** ....then two hours later...and a few days to mull it over I'm back on my blog with the following:

Overall review
I think it is sligtly unfair to make a review of a movie that essentially has a fan-base of two separate origins. There are those fans (like me and many others) who derive their anticipation for this movie from having read the Twilight Saga in it's entirety.... (though it could be up for debate if that group alone can be divided further to form the "twilight readers" and "twilight believers" - ha!) - And then there are those who are just caught up with the hype!; Who have never laid hands or eyes on the books but were given recommendations to watch it! In that sense I'd like to keep my review completely unbiased -but- don't quote me on that too much because I have lots to say. Please note that whatever you think of the movie (because I know that the LOT of you HAVE seen it) - please be sure that "it" and the book are two SEPARATE things. If you've read the book - keep in mind that the movie could never have fully housed the complexity and depth of Twilight within the alloted time and budget it was given to work with. They did their best with what they had and highlighted key points of the book with the current CGI technology they were given to play with and were able to deliver the basic storyline and passion "to the best of their ability". It definitely played it's role well as a "compliment" to the book.

Twilight HIGH Notes
What I loved most about the movie is the portrayal of most if not all the CHARACTERS! I was impressed with how each actor (atleast those who've impacted twilight's reading fan base) was able to deliver and translate them into reality on the big screen. There are some lines they gave that were in a sense "cheesy" but I strongly feel that they did not disappoint! Kristen was an awesome 'Bella' and the relationship with her father was to a tee when compared to the books. The Cullens were just as mysterious and "beautiful" as I had pictured and each member suited their part perfectly. Though 'Jasper' was more in discomfort than I thought him to be. **ha ha**. I can't wait to see his character develop more in the upcoming sequels! It can be safe to assume that the "big three" namely: 'Edward' ***SCREAMS***, 'Carlisle' ***hyperventilating***, and 'Emmett' ***thud!*** - were indeed HOTTIES!.. ha ha! Rob Pattinson, Peter Facinelli and Kellan Lutz did these characters justice! And so the anticipation lingers!

Moving along - Jacob and his Dad were ..... well........ exactly who they were! I don't think we saw enough of them to pass harsh judgment but I think they did do a great job as well. Though I wish they could've atleast found a more 'REAL'-looking wig for the poor kid! Team Jacob - don't lose hope! He is EXACTLY like the Jacob in the book so don't go in expecting to see this freakishly HUGE and hairy hottie of a werewolf that is not supposed to grace us with it's presence until the upcoming shows! Because you know there will be!

Everyone else in the movie, from 'Bella's' friends to the creepy alley stalkers and not forgetting 'James' and his coven ('Victoria' and 'Laurent' - pronounced "Loo-raunt") - well they were just fine! Her friends seemed funnier than expected. That wasn't a bad thing. And 'James' was a great bad guy and his partner 'Victoria' left us hanging for more when they made her intentions evident that there SHOULD BE and would be more to expect in the very nearby future.

Aside from the "to a tee" character-portrayal, I also wanted to note that the CGI effects were pretty cool too. Oh and before I forget - they were able to work in alot of humor and sarcasm so don't be afraid to laugh alongside those obsessed teens sitting next to you! And don't forget to pick up your jaw as you admire the set of wheels that the 'Cullens' are rolling around in. And then pick it up again when THE kiss happens. :)

Twilight "so-so" notes
So you might've heard of all the negative hype around what movie critics have said about our beloved "Twilight". But don't be too let down by these.

To be completely honest, there were some things in the movie that didn't really leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling either. But without getting into too much of it - I think it's because my expectations were based on seeing the ENTIRE book on screen. How unrealistic is that?

Some things to note and possibly debate...are: some usage of the exact lines from the book which came across a little cheesy. Ha-ha. Not bad - not entirely what I expected but it could make a little smirk crawl across your face. Also, don't be too alarmed by the questionable quality of the movie. There is alot of darkness, trees and what I've termed "GQ shots" and brief talking scenes. Just remember when you walk in to see it - they probably only had enough of a budget to pay for the electricity bills of their shoot. So if you want to see a sequel and one with better quality - GO see it (again)!

Another thing I wish they did some justice to was more of EVERYONE. I wanted to see MORE Cullens, Quileutes, high school friends. The way they are developed in the book has more depth that I wished they DID have time enough to do it. But oh well - Too bad, So sad! *tear*. Just wait for them in the upcoming movies. I also hoped there was more emphasis on the 'meadow' scene and Bella's Lullaby; and maybe some more depth to the development of 'Edward' and 'Bella's' relationship - but overall it satisfies to some degree. Sa said he loved it! And he jokingly asked if I was half-expecting Edward to look like Jesus during his Second coming in the meadow! How rude! (But I think I was!.. who knows - I'm just glad it didn't look completely FAKE!)

All in all - I hope there is less negative you take away from the experience and that you leave with more anticipation and somewhat of a satisfaction that the long awaited has met most if not ALL your expectations - now that it has FINALLY materialized it's way onto the big screen!

********************************

I hope that you liked the movie! and If you haven't watched it, "Do enjoy!". I wanted to also note that TwilightMOMS.com posted that Summit Entertainment has given the GREEN Light on moving on with New Moon! So hopefully this next wait won't be as bad as the first! (Who am I kidding!?!?) - Sifo probably already has tickets to see it!!! Ha-Ha! =)

And so ends my review...

Team Edward, Emmett and Carlisle all the way!!!!!

Until my next entry - keep blogging!

8 comments:

Carsen and Lesina said...

Yes you put down exactly the way I felt about the movie as well. But all in all I'm so Team Emmett!

Fields Family said...

just wait till jacob grows up lol

Troy and Segi said...

Maybe reading the book before the movie comes out is a bad idea.

kuaback said...

I love the review...its like you read my mind..ahar.
exactly what I thought of the movie myself.
Hopefully the second one would be better than this one..but oh well..
Here's to Team James..hehehe..

kuaback said...

ps: I cant wait to see what Jacob will look like in New Moon..he better be a hottie like they explained in the book..ahar

SinaGirl said...

you summed it up perfectly, though i have to say after seeing it 3 times I really love it now. i can't wait for the DVD to come out. I was too critical the first time we saw it, but I think it gets better with each viewing. Loved your review! Rock on twilighter....

**Jammin' Luscious Sexy** said...

freakin' vamp on...there were a few "cheesey" parts like when they were laying down with the snowfall or the best was the lamb and lion monologue...i was so laughing my head off when he hopped (or speed run)from boulder to tree and then grabbed that tree trunk and threw it...

**Jammin' Luscious Sexy** said...

i agree...i think sifo already prepaid for the DVD and prepaid movie tickets for New Moon....luvs her